I read an article in Stylist a while back titled Power Maternity, which is all about people re-inventing themselves while on maternity.
Read the Stylist Power Maternity Article
While I may not have launched a new lucrative career this year, I have had a really special 11 months. Aside from the obvious, giving birth to a healthy, happy beautiful little boy, it’s been a time to be me again.
Ok, it’s not all been glowingly positive, there’s definitely been the lows – cleaning sweetcorn poo off the floor (sorry too much information), sobbing with pain while breastfeeding, trying to bounce a baby off to sleep on an exercise ball for hours at a time, but in addition here’s what I’ve gotten up to:
• Launched a new blog: Foodie Mom In London
• Launched a second new blog (for baby pics): 52 Stanley Thursdays
• Started writing for the local NCT Tower Hamlets magazine
• Joined a local am dram group – I’m Jessica in the Merchant of Venice and we’re performing in March.
• Met lots of new mothers and babies at The Idea Store’s Story Time, the Museum of Docklands soft play, through my lovely antenatal NCT group and Water Babies gang
• Still kept up with freelancing for www.hot-dinners.com, www.thelondonword.com and www.julib.com
• Spent time making home-cooked food
Maternity Leave - A Time To Be Me
I have always loved meeting new people but what’s been extra special about this year is I’ve been able to meet people on my own terms, just being me. No work formalities, no one to impress or be nice to unless I want to. It’s been refreshing and I already know I’ll look back on this time with great, warm memories.
If you’re reading this and you’re just about to start maternity, I hope you have a great year. My advice is get out and about as much as possible and make the most of your time.
Now, maybe it is time to start planning baby number two after all ; )